If you are able please send a letter to Island Timberlands President email@example.com and the Minister of Forest, Lands and Natural Resource Operations, Steve Thomson, at firstname.lastname@example.org to express your concern. Consider cc’ing your MLA, Premier Christy Clark, Leader of the Official Opposition John Horgan, and the Watershed forest Alliance (email@example.com).
Points that could be included in such a letter include:
• We call on Island Timberlands to immediately cease logging the sensitive old growth area of McLaughlin Ridge, Mount Horne, Cameron Firebreak, and Katlum Creek and engage in meaningful consultation with stakeholder groups.
• These are some of the last remaining high altitude, giant old-growth Douglas-fir trees left in BC
• The area is classified by BC biologists as the best wintering habitat for black-tailed deer on southern Vancouver Island during years of heavy snow.
• McLaughlin Ridge is in the drinking watershed of Port Alberni.
• BC government removed almost 78,000 hectares of the private lands now owned by Island Timberlands from Tree Farm Licence 44, removing most of the wildlife habitat protections,
controls on the rate of cut, and restrictions on raw log exports from those lands back in 2004.